So I bought a package of cream cheese about two weeks ago and for some reason it never got used. Every time I open the refrigerator I see it sitting there, and I wonder what I should do with it. Keep in mind, I’ve been doing this for a about a week– I’m such a procrastinator! Today, I got the brain wave to make Black Bottom Cupcakes!
A couple of years ago a girl brought black bottom cupcakes to work for a potluck and I fell in love! They are absolutely delicious and I have talked about making them a few times over the years but I have never actually gotten around to do it…surprise surprise, hence the procrastination! But today I actually had all the ingredients on hand so I had no excuse to not finally just do it!
First, I lined 12 muffin cups and preheated the oven to 350 degrees. Then I started with the cream cheese filling mixture. I have to admit, the picture of this mixture somehow got left out, but it’s simple. Beat the cream cheese until smooth then add in your sugar, egg and vanilla and stir until creamy. Once this step is done you can set this aside and get started on your chocolate cake batter.
Make a small well in the middle of you dry ingredients and slowly add in your wet ingredients.
Evenly divide the batter into the muffin tins, then using a spoon, dollop the cream cheese mixture into the center of each cupcake.
I wasn’t sure how they would turn out, but they are honestly DELICIOUS and pretty easy too! I definitely won’t be procrastinating the next time I think about making these babies!
Cream Cheese Filling
8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1/3 cup granulated white sugar
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup granulated white sugar
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup water
1/3 cup oil
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line 12 muffin cups with paper liners
2. Beat the cream cheese until smooth, then add sugar, egg and vanilla. Beat until creamy and smooth. Set aside while you make the cupcakes.
3. In a large bowl sift together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl mix together the water, oil, vinegar and vanilla extract.
4. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and stir in the wet ingredients until nice and smooth.
5. Evenly divide batter among the 12 muffin tins, then spoon a few tablespoons of the cream cheese mixture into the center of each cupcake.
6. Bake for about 25 minutes or until the cream cheese has set. A toothpick in the chocolate part of the cupcake should come out clean.
7. Remove from oven and let cool on rack. Cupcakes can be stored in refrigerator for 3-4 days.
This lovely recipe came from Joy of Baking check it out to see a video tutorial of this recipe!